Works and Engineering Manager
The purpose of this role:
- Day to day management and supervision of the Operations Team
- Management of maintenance and improvement projects
- Manage and undertake site surveys, preparation of design and drawings in relation to small projects
- Assist with the delivery of the Board’s Emergency Planning procedures
- Co-ordinate key schemes and projects within the Engineering team
This post is pivotal to the smooth functioning of the Operations and Engineering team, you will offer direct support to the Operations Manager and work closely with the GIS & Environment Technician, Works Supervisor and Ganger, also working as part of a wider team across the district to deliver organisational objectives.
To undertake research, prepare reports, responses and statistical information as required for Board reporting, management reporting and other requirements.
The post requires response to public enquiries face to face/via telephone or email, thus to be an advocate for the Board and to promote the aims of the organisation is an essential prerequisite of the post.
The role requires the post holder to have regular communication, work with, inform and provide information to others outside the organisation, such as our ratepayers, consultants, partner organisations, external stakeholders as well as external funders and professional partners.
This role is expected to develop and evolve over time. The Board provides varied opportunities for individuals to develop their professional skill sets. Opportunities for further training will be assessed, supported and reviewed through our annual staff development process in order to maintain excellent standards of service and employee job satisfaction.
To thrive and achieve all aspects of the role, whilst working in harmony, supporting colleagues, and becoming a key member of an effective team.
To uphold and comply with the organisations policies and the law in relation to Health and Safety, Financial Regulations, Equal Opportunities, Data Protection and other adopted Policies and Procedures required for the smooth and effective operation of the organisation.
Key Areas of Responsibility:
- Respond to technical enquires relating to the operation and maintenance of the Board’s main systems and infrastructure.
- Programme all works (maintenance and capital) to ensure they are completed efficiently and effectively.
- To complete workforce appraisals and the handling of discipline and grievance.
- Ability to undertake GPS setting out and surveying duties as required.
- To be competent in producing CAD drawings.
- Develop and maintain strong relationships through excellent interpersonal skills with site developers/agents/consultants and the planning authorities.
- To manage and be responsible for the successful delivery of the annual maintenance and capital funded works.
- Site management of annual maintenance and project schemes.
- Assist with and support the implementation of emergency plan procedures.
- Contribute to the development of key Engineering services policies and procedures.
- Manage, maintain and review record keeping in electronic and paper office systems (for example workforce time sheets, drivers log sheets, works coding sheets).
- Develop and maintain excellent central office and wider team communication, to also act as lead person on Operational communications and liaison with ratepayers and the public .
- To take responsibility for your own personal development and share your learning with others.
- Maintain the Geographic Information System (GIS) Arcmap with assistance from the GIS & Environmental Technician.
- To ensure the optimum use of the Board’s resources and plant.
- Oversee and supervise the Health & Safety procedures and standards of work carried out by the Operations Team.
- To undertake and support others on the enforcement of the Land Drainage Act 1991 and Board Byelaws.